What Is a Restaurant Point of Sale Software?
Standing in a queue at a quick-service restaurant and wondering how the line is moving so fast? Thank the advanced restaurant pos systems.
Restaurant pos software processes transactions that occur at a restaurant. The pos software is responsible for taking up menu orders from the customers at the quick service restaurants and full-service restaurants, summing up the bill, and payment processing. Well, the modern restaurant pos systems do much more than this.
Today's, restaurant pos systems track inventory and update stock levels after every transaction, enabling smooth inventory management. When the restaurant pos system is integrated with third-party accounting software, it auto-updates the accounts post every transaction. And can generate financial reports per month, giving restaurant owners and small business owners an overview of operations and helping them make informed decisions, plan loyalty programs, gift cards schemes, purchase orders, and more.
Similarly, when a restaurant pos system is linked with a third-party kitchen display screen, it flashes the orders to be prepared by the chefs at various sections-- grill, fry, or bake. When integrated with CRM app, POS software can help restaurant owners design loyalty programs and issue gift cards.
Thus, it is very well justified to call pos sale system or restaurant pos systems -- a comprehensive solution for restaurant operations, reducing the workload of restaurant owners and managers of quick-service restaurants and full-service restaurants.
A restaurant pos system is a combination of pos hardware and pos software. Pos hardware consists of a terminal or screen usually a laptop or computer, credit card processing machine, receipt printers, and in some cases--- barcode scanners. In most quick-service restaurants, a POS system is linked to a kitchen display screen , allowing chefs to execute customer orders in real time .
What Are The Kinds of Restaurant Point of Sale Software
1. On-Site Terminal
- An on-site pos sale system terminal requires pos hardware and software together at the business facility. The server is located at the premise itself. This POS system terminal may appear like a normal computer or laptop. And restaurant owners can have one terminal or even a multi-setup terminal.
- One of the major drawbacks of the on-site pos terminal is restricted access. It requires restaurant owners or small business owners to be present on the premises in order to check analytics or make changes.
2. Cloud-based restaurant point sale system or pos systems
- Another downside is that most of the on-site pos terminals neither have provision for software updates nor customer support.
- For Cloud-based pos systems, the software is installed in the remote data center or cloud, instead of the local server. As a result, it gives remote access to restaurant owners, and small business owners and they can check any piece of data from anywhere.
- One of the best POS features of a cloud-based system is it enables the POS company to update software from its location itself.
- Cloud-based restaurant pos systems have better customer support services.
- Cloud-based pos systems offer an easy payment structure. It does not require restaurant owners to pay any lump-sum amount, instead calls for per month per terminal subscription.
3. Mobile restaurant point sale system
- Cloud-based restaurant POS systems also enable faster payment processing and credit card processing.
- The mobile pos systems also operate on cloud-based technology. They can be used on laptops, tablets, or even smartphones and thus are portable. When used in full-service restaurants, the staff can carry these mobile restaurant point sale systems for tableside ordering and payment processing. Similarly, in supermarkets or convenience stores, the staff, along with the mobile pos system, can reach the customer on the floor and ring in the transactions there itself.
- The mobile restaurant point sale system allows are easy to use and allows small businesses to save time.
- The mobile systems enable small businesses to attend to more customers in a limited time.
- It allows restaurant owners and small business managers to track sales from anywhere and everywhere.
- Mobile pos systems charge a low per month fee and payment processing fee.
4. Online restaurant point sale system or POS system
- Lightspeed restaurant pos also offers mobile pos systems. Lightspeed restaurant pos can be used by all-- quick-service restaurants, full-service restaurants, and small businesses. Lightspeed restaurant point sale system is cloud-based and costs $99 per month and provides access to up to five employees.
- Here, the pos company provides you the software, which you can use with your available pos hardware laptop or computer screen, credit card reader machine, and receipt printer.
- Just like the cloud-based pos system, the online pos system provides you remote access. When used on a laptop or tablet instead of a desktop, you can even carry this pos system around.
- And since the restaurant owners are using their own pos hardware here, they only have to pay per month per system subscription fee, which is relatively low.
Managing a restaurant is hard enough, but a POS system can make things even more complicated.
What’s the best point of sale software for your business? How do you know if it will work well with your kitchen equipment?
What Makes For A Great Restaurant POS Software
1. Inventory management-
A restaurant requires several ingredients as raw materials, which add up to more inventory. From salt, pepper to chicken and flour and fresh veggies, a restaurant kitchen needs all.
Modern-day pos systems are quite versatile, apart from taking orders and looking after payment processing, these pos systems are capable of tracking inventory and updates the stock levels after every transaction, facilitating Inventory Management . A Lightspeed restaurant pos system helps in inventory management .
With mobile Pos System , the staff in full service restaurants can reach the customer on table and take the order. Similarly, in quick service restaurants, restaurant point sale system helps in faster payment processing , cutting down wait time in queues .
3. From supporting online ordering to tableside ordering and accepting various modes of payments -- cash, credit cards and e-wallets , cloud based Point Sale systems are multi-taskers for restaurants and small business .
What Are Signs of Bad Restaurant POS Software
Change your Point Sale, if-
- If your restaurant pos system does not support integration with third-party apps like CRM and loyalty programs, online ordering, e-wallet payment processing, and more.
- Every pos system, whether on-site, online or even cloud-based, is vulnerable to glitches. Thus, good customer support is non-negotiable.
- If your pos system or restaurant pos systems do not offer real-time inventory or sales tracking.
- Data integration is a must! If you are using a traditional pos, it is high time switch to cloud based Point Sale .
What Is The Best Restaurant Point of Sale Software Out?
Best pos system is one that has more than basic pos features . It should be able to help restaurant owners track inventory, sales and employee performance. When integrated with third party apps like CRM, it helps restaurant owners design loyalty programs and issue gift cards .
Remember, the best pos system , despite providing all smart features, will be easy to use .
It’s hard to keep track of everything that’s going on in your restaurant.
It’s hard to keep track of all the orders, transactions, and payments.
How To Find The Best Restaurant POS Software
Finding the best pos sytem requires some online research. Read tech blogs and articles, understand the function of a restaurant pos system .
Identify your business needs and challenges. For instance, quick service restaurants will need different features in a pos than full service restaurants .
Then, shortlist the restaurant pos systems or restaurant point sale system, take their demo. Go for their free trials and then invest.
Conclusion on pos software
Like we say, a right restaurant pointsale system or pos system can make your life simple. Invest in the pos system that fulfills all your business needs , helps you in inventory management , track employee performance , allow faster payment processing , aid you in designing loyalty programs and offers tremendous customer support .
The best pos is the one that can ease your day-to-day operations. Explore variety of pos features before you buy!
To read more, click on Strategic Positioning
Running a restaurant is hard. The food, the customer service, the finances. It’s a lot to handle.
It’s time for you to take back control of your business.