What to look for in a supplier
How about a farm-fresh pizza or hot pancakes with garden fresh strawberries? Sounds mouth-watering right! That's because freshness and taste go hand-in-hand. And therefore, raw material food suppliers matter more than any other producer in the restaurant industry or foodservice sector.
Since fruits & vegetables dairy are perishable in nature, transactions are highly frequent. This means more communication and co-ordination and thus requires a little more than a restaurant supplier someone who is responsible, easily approachable and dependablejust like a partner!
So look for the following things before you choose your food suppliers-
It is not viable to work with people who are unable to take responsibility of their actions. Not only it will hurt your relation with them, but your business as well. For instance, you place order of 10 cartons of fruits vegetables from local farms , of which 25% were found to be defective. An accountable food distributor would take responsibility and address the issue quickly. They would issue necessary instructions and will replace the defected fruits vegetables with high quality products .
Biggest problems can be resolved with easy and clear communication. When dealing with perishable items like fruits vegetables , the frequency of communication with the food suppliers increases. An open-to-communication and available on time food distributor can be a big help here! Of course, common language in a bonus.
3. Production capacity-
This is an inevitable factor. Before you sign a deal with your food suppliers , make sure they have a production capacity that can serve your order size on time. And not only can meet orders, but are consistently meeting high quality standards. Also, check if you need any specialty items , are your local farmers or food distributor are capable of delivering. And in case of urgency, are they able to do same day delivery or may be next day .
When buying fruits vegetables dairy , specialty items or any other raw material for restaurant food , it is important to be 100% sure if it is a high quality product or not. Sampling becomes a must here! Go for the food distributor who can send you a product sample. This helps you to take an informed decision before you place order .
Food safety is non-negotiable whether you are operating a cafe , other food service joint or are restaurant food supplier . Make sure food distributor abides by all food safety guidelines by Food Safety and Inspection Services (FSIS). And all itemsfruits vegetables , specialty items or eggs and meat, are produced and packaged as per the food safety norms.
Make sure food distributor abides by FSIS norms:
Food Service | Local farmers | Food distributor | Wholesale Food
Why is produce important to your food sourcing?
- Like we said, there is something different and tastier about fresh food. The way the food products have been grown or reared determines not only its taste but also its safety!
- For instance, tomatoes or berries grown organically in a small local farm will taste different than those grown on large field using chemical fertilisers. Not only the former would be tastier, but also safer for consumption.
- An article published by Amos Institute stated that , A ten year study at the University of California, Davis in the Department of Food Science and Technology and Department of Plant Sciences, reported that organic tomatoes contain 79% and 97% higher levels of antioxidants quercetin and kaempferol, respectively . Another research team studying the difference in the vitamin C levels between organic and conventional oranges found that the levels were higher in organic oranges .
- Similarly, chickens reared in factory farm and fed corn would be different from ones in small local farms or pastures. While the formers is cooped inside 24*7, the latter roams freely on the field and eats whatever it finds on the ground-- grains, worms. In pastures, the chickens are reared more naturally. Thus, the two chickens will have different nutrition levels and even varies in taste.
- The theme and scale of your restaurant or business will determine the food distributors you require. If operating a countryside small cafe promising farm fresh food, local farmers can be your food suppliers. However, if operating a franchisee of fried chicken serving hundreds of people daily in New York, factory chickens may be the only option.
Organic foods have higher nutrient levels:
Local farmers | fruits vegetables | specialty items | restaurant food | supply chain
Restaurant suppliers can be hard to find.
You’re probably wondering how to find the best supplier, and what they are looking for in return.
Restaurants and their recommended suppliers for fresh produce
- Restaurants source different items from different food suppliers. The chicken burger that you eat has three different suppliers for chicken, buns and cheese!
- KFC trusts Tyson and Pilgrims Pride for their chicken.
- Similarly the secret behind the perfect French fries of Mc Donalds is the high quality potatoes grown by local farmers in Washington and Idaho.
- Leprino supplies cheese to nearly three-fourth of the pizza market in USA, including Domino's and Pizza Hut.
Choose your food supplier cautiously:
The Best Produce Suppliers in America
- Best' varies from product to product.
- If ordering frozen food or canned meat Restaurant Supply items, line suppliers like Sysco, US Foods, and Gordon Food Service are highly preferred in America. These food suppliers usually deliver once a week to small businesses and maximum thrice to large operators.
- When it comes to perishable items like dairy and products, restaurant and foodservice joints prefer local farmers or vendors, who can do everyday delivery. Leprino is a well-known cheese supplier.
- For alcohol and wine, large suppliers like Young's Market are quite famous among restaurants and bars. PepsiCo and Coca-Cola are still the top two suppliers in America when it comes to sodas.
- Tea Source and Coffee Whole USA are among the top preferred for delivering beverages to restaurants.
- Family owned business Continental Ice Cream is famous for delivering ice creams and novelties to restaurants and cafes.
Remember a right food distributor can ensure a smooth Supply Chain
Because best' varies from product to product:
Wholesale food | Hight quality products | Food Safety | Order Online
Food Delivery Companies for Vegetables and Fruits
- Gordon Foods
- Baldor Specialty Foods
- Nichols Farms
- Nature's Produce
A lesser complicated Supply Chain
can make your day0to-day life easy, so choose your food suppliers cautiously.
Finding the best produce supplier can be a challenge.
What’s the best produce supplier? There are so many options and you don’t know where to start.
Conclusion. To Restaurant Produce Suppliers
As the restaurants and the entire food service sector deals with goods that are perishable in nature, owners must select the food suppliers carefully. It should be seen that they not only provide high quality products , but are consistently meeting the demand. They are in compliance of the food safety norms stated by FSIS. And are more open to communication to address issues, if any. After all, a smooth Supply Chain leads to hassle-free business functioning.
To know more, read Supply Chain
Is your food supplier able to meet urgent demand?:
Food Safety | Customer Service | Rights Reserved | Place Order | Order Online
The food you serve your customers is the most important factor in their experience.
The quality of the food you serve is just as important as the quality of your service.